1 onion, diced finely
1 small piece of ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 green chillies, finely sliced (optional)
1½ cups tinned tomatoes
½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garam masala
1 ½ Cups tinned kidney beans
1 cup soy mylk (I use Bonsoy)
pinch of cayenne pepper
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 small bunch of fresh coriander
1. Heat a pot over a high heat.
2. Add chopped onion, grated ginger, cumin seeds and chillies.
3. Saute for a minute and then add tinned tomatoes and stir. Bring to the boil.
4. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala and stir.
5. Stir in red kidney beans
6. Add one cup water, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
7. Remove lid and add soy mylk, then stir and bring to the boil.
8. Add cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Remove from the heat and serve with brown rice and fresh coriander leaves.
Note: This recipe is a little spicy. Please remove all chillies and chilli powder if you want a milder version.