1 red onion, cut into large chunks
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2 carrots, cut into 2cm lengths, then cut into quarters
6 very large mushrooms, cut into 1cm slices
6 baby beetroots, cut into 2cm cubes
1 bay leaf
1 sprig rosemary
1 can chickpeas, drained
4 tomatoes, diced (or 1 can)
4 cups vegetable stock
Salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp brown rice flour
½ cup water
1 cup wholemeal couscous
1. Heat a frypan and add the onion, garlic and saute over a medium heat for 2 minutes, and add a little water to deglaze the pan.
2. Add the carrots, mushrooms, baby beets, bay leaf rosemary and chickpeas.
3. Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable stock and stir through.
4. Season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Mix the arrowroot with water and add to the pan. Stir well and allow to thicken.
6. Meanwhile, add the couscous to a bowl and cover with boiling water. Cover with a cloth and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork and serve with the casserole.