1 Tsp ground cumin
1 Tsp ground coriander
1 Tsp ground turmeric
1 Tsp mustard seed
1 Cup split yellow moong dal
2 Cups basmati brown rice
1 Inch piece fresh ginger, grated
8 Cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Bunch of coriander
1. Place cumin, coriander, turmeric and mustard seeds, in a bowl.
2. In a sieve rinse the moong dal and basmati brown rice under cold water.
3. Heat saucepan over a high heat, add a splash of water then add the cumin, coriander, turmeric and mustard seeds, stir for one minute until the spices become fragrant. Add the ginger and the moong dal and rice.
4. Add eight cups of water, stir and simmer covered for 10 minutes. Stir, replace the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes. Cook until the rice and moong dal are tender and the consistency is thick but slightly soupy, add more water if required.
5. Squeeze the juice of one lemon over the Kitchari, add salt and pepper to taste, stir then top with fresh.